Sunday, June 26, 2016

Sunday Morning at Point Roberts

This is the first summer post for what was previously called the 2016 Spring birding blog. The URL was too good to waste, so I've updated the title as seen above. This blog covers my birding activities in the Lower Mainland area, including Point Roberts across the border. There may be another blog created for our July trip to Calgary and other points east.

When I arrived this morning, I was not too optimistic. The sea was choppy so I did not expect to see many ducks or sea-birds, and if I did it would be challenging to photograph them. I did not see any ducks and I was right about the challenges. Bur there was plenty of bird action for a brief period.

The first birds I saw were three Pelagic Cormorants darting north towards the pilings by the boat launch.


Pelagic Cormorant - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I then saw a few small birds quite far out. When I got my scope on them, I got excited. They were Rhinoceros Auklets, a smallish sea-bird that seldom comes close to shore. I had barely seen one on a pelagic cruise in September 2015, so it was not a lifer.

At first I tried to get a digiscope photo with my phone, but results were not great. Suddenly, a sea lion, which I had briefly seen, caught something big underwater. Here it is with a digiscope video capture just before it dove.

Sea Lion - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

As blood and guts rose to the surface, a mob scene ensued. There were Glaucous-winged Gulls, Cormorants, and Auklets fighting for the spoils.


Glaucous-winged Gulls and Pelagic Cormorant-Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Now the Auklets were close enough for my camera.

Glaucous-winged Gull and Rhinoceros Auklet - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

In the photo you see the little horn sticking up, hence the name.


Rhinoceros Auklet - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I saw a few other species at this location including Belted Kingfisher and Purple Martin, but only got one worthwhile photo.


Purple Martin - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

As I was leaving a White-crowned Sparrow presented a much better photo opportunity.


White-crowned Sparrow - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I made a quick stop at Centennial Beach in Tsawwassen on my way home. I only saw a few sparrows, but when I downloaded my photos I realized I had been lucky and seen my first Lincoln's Sparrow for the year (and so far the only one).


Lincoln's Sparrow - Centennial Beach, Boundary Bay Regional Park, Delta BC

This bird is closely related to the Song Sparrow, but is identified by the buffy colour on the belly and fine streaks on the breast. It is grayer and lighter coloured than its cousin.



No comments:

Post a Comment