Sunday, July 3, 2016

Return to Point Roberts

A week after my last successful visit I set out again for Point Roberts. It was a windy day (which would prove to be very important later in the day) so I was again pessimistic about seeing much on the water.

On this day I was right, the wind was blowing quite hard and there was nothing to see out on the water. I did get another good White-crowned Sparrow shot, possibly the same bird I'd seen last week.

White-crowned Sparrow - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Since I had spent so little time at my first stop, I decided to try Lily Point Park on the south-eastern edge of the Peninsula. The park is at some elevation and overlooks the Strait of Georgia to the south-west. There is a trail loop from the parking lot that takes you through a mature forest.

As I was walking I heard Pacific Wren singing nearby. I managed to locate the bird and draw it out with a very short playback from my phone. It was in a very shady area in the forest and I struggled with exposure. The bird also kept moving and was aware of my presence. Here are the two best photos I managed, my first for  the year for this elusive species.


Pacific Wren - Lily Point Park, Point Roberts WA

The next photo is in mid-call and I was able to crop it to show more detail.


Pacific Wren - Lily Point Park, Point Roberts WA

I also heard a few Swainson's Thrush on the walk, but could not see one, let alone take a photo.

Here's the view overlooking Georgia Strait.


Lily Point Park, Point Roberts WA

On my way home I took Highway 17 (the Perimeter Road) and noticed a large fire burning in the distance. After crossing Highway 99, I drove right by the Burns Bog fire, probably about an hour after it had started. I did not stop to take a photo, but took this one from our street when I got home.

Burns Bog fire from North Delta

Fortunately the weather turned wet the next day and the fire was put out within a week of it starting.

No comments:

Post a Comment