Tuesday, October 25, 2016

September 4 - Iona Ponds and Jetty

There were reports of a Wandering Tattler on the rocks near the end of the Iona Jetty, so I decided to spend the Sunday morning doing the 4 Km walk out to the tip of the Jetty.

Upon arriving, I made a quick diversion to check out the settling ponds in the Sewage treatment plant. There were no notable shorebirds there, but plenty of Sparrows. A Brewer's Sparrow had been reported, but I had no luck with that one. What I did see were many Savannah Sparrows.


Savannah Sparrow - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC


Savannah Sparrow - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I also saw this House Finch.

House Finch (F) - Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I headed out onto the Jetty, scouring the rocks for any signs of a Tattler ( a rock dwelling shorebird) . 

Looking out to the north, I noticed this raft of Cormorants, an unusual sight so close to shore.

Double-crested Cormorant - Iona Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

Near the end of the walk to the tip, I spotted some Common Loons. This one was still featuring most of its Alternate (breeding) plumage.

Common Loon - Iona Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I reached the tip and had no luck with the Tattler. It was quiet overall, but there were some Cormorants out on the rocks. One was sitting in the crashing waves.

Double-crested Cormorant - Iona Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

It seemed to adjust its head position with the rhythm of the waves.

Double-crested Cormorant - Iona Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

On my way back, I spotted some Ring-billed Gulls. They are quite common, but I had not taken many photos of them so far this year. They are identified by the black ring on the bill and the pale yellowish eyes.

Ring-billed Gull - Iona Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

So ended the day at Iona.


No comments:

Post a Comment