Saturday, November 5, 2016

October 2 - White Rock Pier and Blackie's Spit

By this time of year I plan my outings strategically. The goal is to visit sites that might have birds I have not yet added to my year list.

The White Rock pier is the best place to see White-winged Scoters. However, they are mixed in with the much more numerous Surf Scoters. And Blackie's Spit had reports for Long-billed Curlew and Marbled Godwit. I'd already see the Godwit, but the photos were very poor.

It was a nice day and I arrived just as the sun was coming up behind Mount Baker. There were numerous Scoters but they were far off from the pier.

 

I did see this female Surf Scoter close to the pier.

Surf Scoter (F) - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

It was pretty quiet this day, even this Bald Eagle seemed a little bored.

Bald Eagle - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

There's a lady who frequents the Pier who is a Pigeon Whisperer. As I was leaving, she showed up and the Pigeons flocked to her immediately.

Rock Pigeon  - White Rock Pier, White Rock BC

I took this shot as I was leaving, my Nikon Coolpix allows me to take scenery shots without carrying extra lenses.

White Rock BC

After a stop at Starbucks, my next destination was Blackie's Spit. I was confident I'd have better luck there.

One of the birds you're guaranteed to see there is the Common Loon. They come quite close to shore, presenting good photo opportunities. Sure enough, this was the first bird I saw after parking.

Common Loon - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

A bit further out on the spit I saw a pair of Loons, I suspect an adult and offspring. The adult still had some signs of breeding plumage, whereas the other was in Basic (non-breeding) plumage.

Common Loon - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

On the spit's grassy area there were some gulls hanging around. This one is a winter plumage adult California Gull. The distinguishing field marks are the black and red bill tip, and the yellow-blue legs.

California Gull - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

I was fortunate to see a Harbour Seal quite close off shore and took this shot.

Harbour Seal - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

I saw a photographer over on the east side of the spit and headed over to investigate. My mantra is "Don't look for the bird, look for the birders". Once again it paid off, he had a Long Billed Curlew in his sights. I joined him and took a large number of photos of the bird. Here are the best ones.

Long-billed Curlew - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC



Long-billed Curlew - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC


Long-billed Curlew - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

I had one more look at the Loon as I left. It was dining on some seafood.


Common Loon - Blackie's Spit, Surrey BC

I'd only added one bird to the year list (the Curlew) but the photos I took made it extra special.


No comments:

Post a Comment