Saturday, November 5, 2016

October 9 - International Birding

There had been some good sightings reported at Point Roberts recently, so I decided to try my luck there on this Sunday morning. I crossed the border quite early and drove over to Lighthouse Marine Park. I always have a sense of anticipation as I approach the park as I've had so many good experiences there over the years.

The first bird I saw was a bit of an ID challenge. I suspected female Surf Scoter, but when I saw the photos at home later on, I changed it to female Harlequin Duck. This species is common here, but I hadn't seen any in quite a while. The oval white patch is the diagnostic for the females, the male is unmistakeable with it's blue, white and orange plumage, but none were present.

Harlequin Duck - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

The next photo is a Horned Grebe, a common sight here and at other places such as White Rock pier and Blackie's Spit. However, it was my first of the year. The photo quality is poor, but it is the year record.

Horned Grebe - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

There wasn't much else on the surf, but there was some activity near the shore - a flock of Goldfinches.

American Goldfinch - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

Also nearby was a Golden-crowned Sparrow, a common fall and winter sight.

Golden-crowned Sparrow - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I left Point Roberts and decided to make a side trip to Reifel Bird Sanctuary on Westham Island in Delta. It was a short trip from Tsawwassen and the first thing I did on arrival was check out the Duck Ponds by the entrance. I got a nice shot of a photogenic American Wigeon male.

American Wigeon - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I headed south-west and passed by an area where the shorebirds congregate. I believe these are Greater Yellowlegs based on the size and the upturned bill.

Greater Yellowlegs - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I had now reached the West Dyke trail and saw some sparrows on the ground, a White-crowned and a Golden-crowned. Both were first year birds. The juvenile White-crowned causes ID problems for new birders as they have a brownish-red stripe on the head, making them look like Chipping or American Tree Sparrows.

White-crowned (Imm) and Golden-crowned (imm) Sparrow - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I saw some more ducks in a nearby pond, Reifel is a great place to see numerous species in Fall and Winter. The first was a pair of Gadwall, a very elegant duck and one of my favouritesspecies. The male is on the left.

Gadwall - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Next was a lovely Northern Pintail male, I've never noticed the Orange before.

Northern Pintail - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I came upon another photographer who was taking photos of a group of shorebirds. He believed he was seeing a Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, a rare visitor more commonly seen in Asia. We both took numerous photos of the bird, but upon review I concluded it as the much more common (but similar Pectoral Sandpiper. This was confirmed by a group of birders I met later in the day.

Pectoral Sandpiper - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I joined up with that group, it was the Sunday morning bird walk. Near the end we had an unusual trifecta. Out in the main viewing pond was a basking Western Painted Turtle. Nearby in the water was a Pied-billed Grebe. And perching overhead was a Great Blue Heron.

Western Painted Turtle, Pied-billed Grebe, and Great Blue Heron - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Here's a close-up of the turtle.

Western Painted Turtle - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

I left Reifel and had one more photo opportunity - a Red-tailed Hawk along one of the rural roads in South Delta.

 Red-tailed Hawk - 34 St, Delta BC




No comments:

Post a Comment