Monday, January 2, 2017

Boxing Day - birding in the snow

The day after Christmas the snow started falling in the morning so it seemed like a good idea to stay close to home. I have snow tires, but this doesn't protect me from cars without them.
I drove down to the Delta Nature reserve which is part of Burns Bog. The ambience was beautiful with the snow.

Delta Nature Reserve, North Delta BC

I didn't have high hopes for many birds in these conditions, but after about 15 minutes I heard loud tapping nearby signalling the presence of a woodpecker. It took a bit of time to locate the source as it was lower than I thought. It was a Pileated Woodpecker. I was so close that I could only photograph the top part of the bird.

Pileated Woodpecker - Delta Nature Reserve, North Delta BC

On the way back I spotted two Hairy Woodpeckers, but it was snowing too heavily to take a good photo by this time. Here's a Hairy in our backyard taken on Christmas afternoon.


Hairy Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

Our resident Anna's hummingbird did well with all the snow. I made sure we kept the feeder unfrozen, bringing it in at night when necessary.


Anna's Hummingbird - Backyard, North Delta BC


No comments:

Post a Comment