Monday, January 2, 2017

Christmas Day Excursion

It was just Edith and I on Christmas morning, but we were hosting 12 for dinner. After opening our gifts, Edith told me I had 1 to 2 hours before anything else was scheduled. I decided to check out the Fraser River for ducks along River Road and perhaps have a quick peek at Deas Island Park.

By this time of year Ducks are paired up and getting ready for nesting. On Christmas day, River Road was not busy so I was able to stop and take some photos. The first pair I saw were Gadwall. The male is on the right followed by the female.


Gadwall - Fraser River, Delta BC

A bit further along was a larger group of ducks including this Mallard pair.


Mallard - Fraser River, Delta BC

And a larger group of Northern Pintail, probably two mated pairs.


Northern Pintail - Fraser River, Delta BC

I arrived at Deas Island Park and had the place all to myself.  I'd birded here before but never had much luck. Today that would change.

I normally head to the south side of the island, but the trails looked very icy, so I took the north fork instead which led to the Island Loop trail..


Island Loop Trail -Deas Island Park, Delta BC

There were a few bird sounds coming from the woods so I made some pishing noises. A small bird popped out nearby. I was pretty sure it was a Wren, most likely Pacific. Since no one was around, I decided to try a little playback of the call on my phone a bit further along on the trail. This brought the bird out and I took a few shots with my Canon.


Pacific Wren - Deas Island Park, Delta BC

Pacific Wren - Deas Island Park, Delta BC

I also had my Nikon Coolpix and got one shot off with it. The result was quite surprising.

Pacific Wren - Deas Island Park, Delta BC

I'm not sure how the camera made this transformation, but the results are impressive. I have to admit that the other two photos more closely match what I was seeing.

There were a few other birds around but it was time to leave. As I was walking back to the car, I saw this Junco on the a patch of ice. It looks like someone had thrown some seed down for the birds.

Dark-eyed Junco - Deas Island Park, Delta BC

That was it for Christmas birding, the Wren was an unexpected gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment