Saturday, May 7, 2016

Boundary Bay Shorebirds Part 2

I returned to Boundary Bay two days later after hearing that a breeding plumage Pacific Golden Plover had been seen in a ploughed field on 104 St close to Boundary Bay. It's not unusual for Plovers and some of the larger shorebirds to head for nearby fields when the tide is out.

I stopped and set up my scope by the Burlington Northern tracks and started scanning. I saw a good number of adult and immature Black-bellied Plovers but none of the rarer Pacific Golden.

After a while I noticed a reddish coloured medium size shorebird. it was constantly moving and was difficult to track in the scope. I tried a few digiscope photos, but they were poor. Another birder arrived and I told him I thought a had a breeding plumage Red Knot. These are a very common shorebird on the East Coast, but are uncommon here.

It took a while for him to locate the bird, then I showed him the bird using my IPhone app. He confirmed that it looked like a Red Knot. The bird came a bit closer and I managed a few photos with my real camera. The bird is in the foreground, the others are Black-bellied Plovers.

Red Knot - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC

We then started scanning the rest of the field and Roger found some Whimbrel at a distance. There are more common large shorebirds with long down-curved bills. These poor photos are digi-scoped with the IPhone. The second shows Whimbrel and a Black-bellied Plover.

Whimbrel - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC


Whimbrel and Black-bellied Plover - Boundary Bay, 104 St. Delta BC

No comments:

Post a Comment