Saturday, May 14, 2016

Colony Farm - Good Start - Poor Finish

I try to visit Colony Farms Regional Park in Coquitlam during spring migration. It's a good place to see Black-headed Grosbeaks and Lazuli Buntings. I'd played golf in the morning, so I did not arrive until mid-afternoon, not the best time for birding.

My first stop was the parking lot off Lougheed Highway and the Mundy Creek trail. I heard some Robin like singing and was pretty sure I had a male Black-headed Grosbeak. But I could not locate the source of the call. I gave in and resorted to using an IPhone app to play the song back.

The bird reacted immediately and flew into another tree. I got off a few shots, this one being the best.

Black-headed Grosbeak - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

As I was walking back to the car I saw a few butterflies, including this Red Admiral.

Red Admiral  - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

I moved on to the area by the community gardens and went looking for Lazuli Bunting. The best location is near the Forensic Hospital (which is fenced off). I'd seen the Bunting here last year. I heard some singing but was not able to locate one visually.

This photo was taken in the same location on May 16, 2015.

Lazuli Bunting - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC (May 2015)

I proceeded east into the wildlife area of the park but it was late on a hot afternoon and very quiet. This Spotted Towhee was the only notable bird I saw.

Spotted Towhee - Colony Farm Regional Park, Coquitlam BC

This excursion was like many others this year. I saw one new bird for the year and not much else.

No comments:

Post a Comment