Friday, May 20, 2016

Evening Outing at Boundary Bay

The tide was somewhat favourable so I made a post-dinner trip to 104 St on Boundary Bay. It was not a super productive outing, but I managed a few interesting photos.

The first is the scourge of the bird world, the Brown Cowbird. I've seen these birds a lot this year, which means many nesting songbirds are hosting unwanted guests in their nests. I guess it's part of the natural cycle.


Brown-headed Cowbird - 112 St near Boundary Bay, Delta BC

When I arrived at the dyke on 104 St. the first birds I noticed were Barn Swallows flying along the edge of the tide. This was my first opportunity in 2016 to take some photos of this common swallow.

Barn Swallow - 104 St, Boundary Bay, Delta BC

There were some shorebirds present, but the tide was out a bit and it was hard to get good photos.
Here's a collection of various sizes.

Black-bellied Plover, Dunlin and Western Sandpiper - 104 St, Boundary Bay, Delta BC

Whenever a non-birder sees someone with a camera, binoculars or spotting scope, they always want to tell us where to see Eagles and Great Blue Herons. Well I found these two Eagles here all by myself.

Bald Eagle (Imm) - 104 St, Boundary Bay, Delta BC


Bald Eagle - 104 St, Boundary Bay, Delta BC

Finally, I got a shot of this most common species. I sometime forget how attractive the Male Mallards are.
Mallard - 104 St, Boundary Bay, Delta BC

That was it for this evening, the Barn Swallow was the best sighting of the night for me as I got to check it off on my 2016 spreadsheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment