Sunday, May 1, 2016

Sunday morning at Pitt Lake

I like going to Pitt Lake in May as it can be a good place to see migrating birds such as Yellow Warblers, Bullock's Orioles and Eastern Kingbirds. This trip was a bit earlier than usual , but I planned on returning later in the month if necessary.

Once you reach the rural area in Pitt Meadows, there is a long straight stretch through farmland and blueberry fields. I kept an eye on the telephone wires for early morning raptors. I saw a medium sized bird on a wire and pulled over as soon as I could. It appeared to be a small raptor, either a Falcon or an Accipiter. As I walked closer I took numerous photos so I could ID later if it flew.

But the bird remained on the wire and I got close enough to see it was an American Kestrel. It did not have the strong blue and orange colouration that I normally see on Kestrels in the Okanagan. I later discovered that this colouring indicated the bird was a female.


American Kestrel (F) - Rannie Rd, Pitt Meadows BC

My next stop was Katzie Marsh, about a kilometre from Pitt Lake. I've seen Eastern Kingbird and Cedar Waxwings here before. I noticed a photographer taking pictures of a large bird in a tree and quietly went over to join him. He was taking photos of an Osprey, which seemed agitated and was making loud noises.


Osprey - Katzie Marsh, Pitt Meadows BC

It appeared to be defending its territory. Soon three more Ospreys appeared overhead and started to make passes at this one. This action was too close to get photos with my long lens. However, when the first Osprey took flight, I took this flight shot. The lighting on this one was a happy accident.

Osprey - Katzie Marsh, Pitt Meadows BC

Eventually, the others were chased off and the Osprey returned to its perch.


Osprey - Katzie Marsh, Pitt Meadows BC

From the large to the small, my next photo was after parking at Pitt Lake. I love getting shots of hummingbirds on tree branches rather than at feeders.

Rufous Hummingbird - Grant Narrows Regional Park, Pitt Meadows BC

I then made the 1.8 KM walk on the nature trail to a viewing tower. The trail runs parallel to a large stream, but is quite claustrophobic in some places. The are large Cottonwood trees towering over you for much of the trail.

It turned out to be too early in the year for most of the spring migrants. I did see this Common Yellowthroat across the water. It was my first of year. This bird is classified as a Warbler, but has only one other member of the genus Geothypis in North America.

These birds are very difficult to photograph as they hide in the under-brush and are very aware when people are around.
Common Yellowthroat - Grant Narrows Regional Park, Pitt Meadows BC

At the end of the 1.8 KM walk there is a viewing tower offering beautiful views of Pitt Polder. This was taken in May 2014.

On the way back, the only photo that was worth posting was this pair of Tree Swallows. They are very numerous on parts of the Nature Trail.
Tree Swallow - Grant Narrows Regional Park, Pitt Meadows BC

After a great start, the outing trickled off a bit. Hopefully my next trip here would be more eventful.


No comments:

Post a Comment